Alvin N. Archer (1844 – 19??)
Ocean Park Resident.
Archer was born in 1844 in Maine. He entered the Union Army in 1862. In 1891 he was in poor health and he came west to Oregon and in 1892 to Ocean Park. For the Y.M.C.A. he erected the first building in South Santa Monica in 1894. For four years he was the local agent of the Santa Fe Railroad Company. Later he held the office of deputy constable and was also the first uniformed policeman of the new town. He was the founder of Ocean Park’s first volunteer fire brigade. He was elected and served as a member of the board of Freeholders. Archer married Luetta Litch (he is her guardian) at Ocean Park, in 1892. The Archers had four children-Bula June, the first child born of American parents in South Santa Monica; Reed M.; Glen E.; and Altha, F. The Archer home is 245 Hill Street.

Nicholas Gabriel Baida (1869 – 1941)
Ocean Park Resident.
Baida was born in Beirut, Lebanon. In 1890 came to Los Angeles and opened a small store for the sale of oriental rugs and drapery. In 1897 Baida married Saiedia Safady (1880 – 1966). They had five children — Gabriel, Zeimoztaney, Adella, Stossel and Isabella. In 1905 he opened a branch store on Pier Avenue. The Baida Moorish residence at the corner of 3rd Street and Bicknell Avenue, was built in 1907.

Robert Symington Baker (1826 – 1894)
Real estate owner and founder of the town of Santa Monica.
Colonel Robert S. Baker, purchased Rancho San Vicente y Santa Monica from the Sepulvedas. In 1874 sold a 3/4 interest in the land to John Percival Jones. Baker and Jones founded the town of Santa Monica in 1875.

John Baldessari (1931 – )
Artist living in Ocean Park. Studio at at 2001 Main Street, behind the surf shop

Victor Barnaba ( – 1992)
Victor Barnaba and Betty Barnaba and her husband, a well-known photographer, owned and operated the Victor Barnaba Studios in Santa Monica from 1946 until they retired to Oceanside in 1975. Victor Barnaba Photography, 409 Santa Monica Blvd. Elizabeth “Betty” Dunn Barnaba (1911 – 2005) born in Meadville, Pennsylvania, September 17, 1911, a daughter of Dr. William C. and Emma Brown Dunn. Mrs. Barnaba was a professional dancer in New York City, when she met and married Mr. Barnaba, then a partner with his brother in a New York photography business.

Arcadia Bandini Stearns de Baker (1825 – 1912)
Wealthy widow who married Col. Robert Baker in 1874.

Benjamin A. Barnard (1904 – 1960)
Mayor and Santa Monica College Instructor.
Benjamin Barnard attended UCLA where he graduated in 1926, earning a teaching credential from UC Berkeley in 1928, and a master’s degree in Political Science from USC in 1933. From 1929 until his death, Barnard taught in Santa Monica’s public schools. After teaching at Lincoln Junior High School and Santa Monica High School, Barnard joined the faculty of Santa Monica College in 1933. He continued teaching there after WWII. Barnard helped draft Santa Monica’s new charter that was adopted in 1946 and was elected to the new council in 1947, serving 10 years, the last two of which as mayor (1955-1957). After a two year hiatus, Barnard was again elected to the council in 1959, immediately being selected mayor by his council colleagues. However, in 1960, Barnard died unexpectedly while in office. The Speedway, located along the ocean in South Beach, was renamed Barnard Way in his honor.

Juan Bernard (18?? – 1889)
A native of Switzerland, came to California by way of the Horn, in search of the precious metal. For awhile, he had a brickyard on Buena Vista Street ; but in the late 1870’s, soon after marrying Susana Machado, daughter of Agustin Machado, he bought a vineyard on Alameda Street, picturesquely enclosed by a high adobe or brick wall. He also came to own the site of the Natick House.

John Dustin Bicknell (1838 – 1911)
Real estate investor and attorney, founded the firm that is now Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.

J. D. Blanchard (1862 – 19??)
Owner and General manager of the Imperial Ice Co.

Joseph Bontty (1850? – 19??)
Ocean Park Resident.
Joseph Bontty, a Bohemian by birth, was born in Austria. In 1875 came to Portland, OR where he engaged in the building business. Married to Annie Bease in 187?, and has a daughter (Sebaldina M) and two sons (Joseph & Edward F). Moved to Ocean Park in 1883 and engaged in the grocery business. The first store opened at what was originally known as South Santa Monica. He also became interested in some successful real estate deals. In 1905 he then moved to San Diego.

Charles Warren Brown (18?? – 19??)
Charles Warren Brown House at 2504 Third St. is a 1908 Craftsman.

Nathan Bundy (1846 – 1913)
Real estate developer.

Richard Clifford Diebenkorn (1922 – 1993)
Painter best known for the ”Ocean Park” paintings.
In 1966 Diebenkorn moved his home and studio to Santa Monica, California. He began teaching at UCLA that same year and remained there until 1973. The “Ocean Park” series, began in 1967 and developed for over twenty-five years, became his most famous work and resulted in more than 140 paintings. Based on the aerial landscape and perhaps the view from the window of his studio on Main and Ashland. Built and moved into 2444 Main St in 1975. In 1988 he moved from Santa Monica to Healdsburg in northern California, where he continued to create primarily small works, mostly drawings, until his death in 1993.

Thomas Horace Dudley (1867 – 19??)
A Santa Monica businessman and politician, married Ryan’s widow and became Kinney’s new partner.
Born in Leicestershire, England, 1867, the eldest son of Thomas M. S. Dudley, and Emily Frances Draycott. He came to Bakersfield, California, in 1889, and engaged in the real estate and insurance business. In 1896 he moved to Santa Monica and engaged in the real estate and insurance business (with John B. Proctor) as Proctor & Dudley. In 1899, he married Matilda Brooks Ryan, widow of the late Francis Ryan. The real estate firm of Kinney & Ryan, owners and promoters of the Ocean Park Beach Tract, was succeeded by the firm of Kinney & Dudley. Dudley and Kinney did not get along Dudley sold his half interest in the Ocean Park Improvement Company to Alexander Fraser, Herbert Gage and George Merritt Jones. In 1900 Dudley was elected a member of the Santa Monica City Board of Trustees, serving as chairman of the Board until 1907. Upon the reorganization of the city government under a Freeholders Charter in 1907, Dudley was elected mayor.

Matilda Brooks Ryan Dudley (1860 – 19??)
Born in Vermont, daughter of Francis Wycoff Brooks and Matilda Smith. Married Francis Ryan in 1890? – daughters Alice & Elizabeth. Francis Ryan died age 43 in 1898, and she married Thomas Dudley in 1899.

Alexander Rosborough Fraser (1856-1926)
Real estate investor and developer.
Born in Canada, moved to Michigan with his family. In 1885 he moved to Los Angeles, and entered the real estate business. He was appointed Secretary of the Street Commissioner’s department, which had charge of the opening and widening of many streets in Los Angeles. He continued this work, in addition to his own business, until 1900, when he went to Ocean Park. For fifteen years the Santa Fe Railroad had been trying to make a resort out of the tracts in Ocean Park, but had failed dismally. Fraser, associated with George Hart, then took up the Santa Fe holdings, a tract of 13 acres. Fraser and Hart named the tract Central Beach and laid out streets, installed a sewer system and sub divided the land. In 1902 Fraser (with G Merritt Jones & H. R. Gage) purchased the interest of T. H. Dudley, who owned half of the Kinney lands on the Ocean Front. In 1904 he purchased the Recreation Gun Club tract, which had an ocean frontage of 4000 feet. In 1903 Fraser built the Ocean Park Casino, and in 1905 erected the Ocean Park Bath House. In 1906 he built the Ocean Park Auditorium, the Masonic Temple and the Decatur Hotel. In 1911 “Fraser’s Million Dollar Pier,” was completed, extending 1000 feet over the ocean and housing a multitude of amusements, including a beautiful dancing pavilion. Destroyed by fire in 1912. Fraser built numerous improvements in Ocean Park, and is responsible for the construction of the concrete promenade which joins Ocean Park with Venice. Early in 1907 the thirty feet in width, a mile and a quarter in length promenade was completed, and those who had opposed it now admit its economic and lasting advantages.

Herbert Richmond Gage (1848 – 1930)
In 1902 became associated with A. R. Fraser and G Merritt Jones and purchased from Mrs. T. H. Dudley one-half interest in 180 acres ocean frontage, now known as Ocean Park and a portion of Venice. This sale included the beach from Azure street, now Fraser avenue, to a point 700 feet below the Country Club house, now Horizon avenue, and the club house and grounds.

Irving John Gill (1870 – 1936)
American architect considered a pioneer of the modern movement in American architecture.
From his native Syracuse to a Chicago apprenticeship in the office of Louis Sullivan, Gill spent most of his career in southern California where in the early 1900s he developed an original and radical simplification of Mission style architecture. His Los Angeles buildings include the Lewis Courts, Sierra Madre; the Dodge House, Hollywood; and Horatio West Court, Santa Monica. A bachelor until the age of 58, Gill married Mrs. Marion Waugh Brashears in 1928, but the marriage was unsuccessful and Gill died at age 66 in 1936, alone in Carlsbad, California.

Robert Conran Gillis (1863 – 19??)
Real estate developer.

Andrew Glassell (1827 – 1901)
Real estate investor and attorney.
Born in Virginia, came to Los Angeles in 1865 and formed a partnership with Alfred Chapman and Colonel George H. Smith, (Glassell, Chapman & Smith). Their law practice was confined chiefly to real estate transactions.

Henry X. Goetz (1861 – 19??)
Santa Monica, Ocean Park and Venice Contractor.
Built many early buildings.

Henry Hancock(1822 – 1883)
A Harvard trained lawyer and government land surveyor.
Owner of Rancho La Brea, which included the La Brea Tar Pits.

Dwight Howard Hart (1875 – 1942)
Real estate investor. Brother of G.A. Hart.
In 1914 brothers Dwight and George Hart built the 264-room Rosslyn Hotel at the southwest corner of 5th and Main streets in downtown L.A., and in 1923 they built a 422-room annex at the northwest corner in an identical Beaux Arts style and connected the two structures with a tunnel under 5th Street. Atop the annex–also called the Rosslyn but later renamed the Frontier –a gigantic sign (lit by incandescent bulbs and recently restored in neon) includes the proclamation, “The Million Dollar Hotel.”

George Alandson Hart (1870 – 19??)
Real estate investor. Developed the Central Beach Tract.
Born in Ohio. Married to Ida M. Belden in 1894. With A.R. Fraser, in 1901 purchased the entire (13 acres) South Santa Monica holdings of the Santa Fe. Renamed the Central Beach tract and immediately began grading and putting streets through it. Hart and Fraser substituted the sale instead of lease system prevailing there. India St (now Hill St) was the first street opened through and paved between the beach and the railroad tracks. Building restrictions were put on the property, which included 185 lots 25 by 100 feet in size, extending from Hart Avenue on the north to Grand Ave on the south and between the beach and the railway tracks. Owned the hotel Rosslyn and the Lexington. With his brother Dwight, built New Rosslyn in 1913. He was President of Terra Bella Development Co, and Richgrove Land Co comprising 20,000 acres near Bakersfield.

Charles W. Hollister (1858 – 1935)
Real estate investor. Developed the Wadsworth Hollister Tract.
Thomas Wadsworth and C.W. Hollister purchased the north half of the Central Beach tract sometime around 1902 and developed it for residential use. Wadsworth Hollister tract.

Moses Hostetter (Hostetler) (1823 – 1903)
An Iowa farmer who came to Ocean Park in 1893.
Born in Ohio. Married Mary Brant (18?? – 1905) in Wisconsin in 1847. Son William Morgan Hostetler. He served on Santa Monica’s first Board of Trustees, and was chairman of the police, fire and light committees. In 1893, he bought seven lots at what are now 2547, 2601 and 2628 Second St.; 236, 237 and 242 Beach St. and 2623 Third St. for $45 each. Choosing to live next door to his son (William, 237 Beach), in 1893 he built a home (now a City Landmark) at 2601 Second St. Died in Santa Monica.

William Morgan Hostetter (1851 – 19??)
Son of Moses Hostetter.
William Morgan Hostetler was born in Iowa. Married 1870, in Iowa to Edwina L. Keeler. Three children Moses Leroy (1871 – 19??), Alita May (1873 – 1884) and Morven Deloy (1877 – 1900). Lived at 237 Beach.

Albert B. Hotchkiss (18?? – 1905)
Colonel Hotchkiss a Southern Pacific Railroad lawyer.

Mary A. Hotchkiss (1865? – 1934) Photo

F.P. Howard(1? – 19??) Photo

Arthur J. Hutchinson (18?? – 19??)
Captain Hutchinson, a British Army officer who had acquired the beach front property in the late 1870’s when he foreclosed on a series of loans made to the Machado family on parts of their Rancho La Ballona.

Joseph W Jauch (1863 – 1949)
In 1889 began a medical practice in Los Angeles. He married Mary Hotchkiss in 1906.

Georgina Frances Jones (1853 – 1936)
Wife of John Percival Jones.
Georgina Frances Sullivan married John P Jones (his second wife) in 1875, graciously presided over their Santa Monica home, Miramar. Mother of three daughters, namely: Alice (wife of Frederick MacMonnies, a noted American sculptor); Marion (tennis player and wife of Robert David Farquhar, a well-known Los Angeles architect); and Georgina (wife of Robert K. Walton). Miramar was old in 1912. With the death of Jones in 1912, Georgina sold Miramar and move to New York where she died in 1936.

John Percival Jones (1829 – 1912)
Senator John Percival Jones of Nevada, a Comstock millionaire, founder of the town of Santa Monica.

Roy Jones (1861?? – 1940??)
Son of John Percival Jones.
Married Pauline Williamson in NYC 1893. daughter, Dorothy (Jones) Cook. Founder and officer of the Bank of Santa Monica. Jones worked on the City Charter and was influential in the early economic and political development of the City. Jones helped organize the Ramina Corporation developer in northern and southern California.
First Roy Jones House, 1894, 2612 Main St. Architect: Sumner P. Hunt
Second Roy Jones house, 1911, 130 Adelaide Dr., Architect: Attributed to Robert Farquhar (husband of Marion Jones).

Robert F. Jones (18?? – 19??)
Nephew of John Percival Jones.
Married Maria J. Tilden. Robert and Roy Jones formed the Santa Monica Land Company. Mayor of Santa Monica 1895. Camera obscura.

George Merritt Jones (1861 – 1932)
Real estate investor.
Born in Kentucky in 1861. Attended schools in Illinois and in 1882 entered grain and live stock business. In 1885 moved to Montana and ran a general merchandise store. In 1895 moved to Los Angeles, and engaged in real estate and street improvement work in city of Los Angeles. In 1902 became associated with A. R. Fraser and H. R. Gage and purchased from Mrs. T. H. Dudley one-half interest in 180 acres ocean frontage, now known as Ocean Park and a portion of Venice, which was subdivided and sold. Married to Olive Byrne in 1902. In 1904 80 acres were bought from Recreation Gun Club, subdivided and sold; during this time the firm built Casino at Pier Ave. and Ocean Front, also Ocean Park Bath House, Auditorium and Masonic Temple. In 1907 Jones purchased two unimproved sections of land in Imperial Valley – sold this ranch in 1912. Lost heavily (Marine Apts., Casino and Bowling Alley) in great Ocean Park fire in 1912.

Marcellus L. Joslyn (1873 – 1963)
Joslyn was the founder and principal stockholder of the Joslyn Manufacturing and Supply Company, a Chicago electrical supply firm. In 1947 Joslyn retired to Santa Monica, where he became involved in philanthropic interests. To the city of Santa Monica he gave its Senior Recreation Center at Palisades Park, Joslyn Hall, the Santa Monica Lawn Bowling Club and grounds, the Lincoln Park Recreational facility, parking lots and many other monetary and land awards. Joslyn Park, a two-and-a-half acre park built on the former Walter G. McGinley estate that was purchased by the city in 1958 with funds donated by Marcellus Joslyn.


Abbot Kinney (1850 – 1920)
The visionary developer turns South Santa Monica into a beach resort (Ocean Park) before developing “Venice of America.”

Nancy Lucas (1806 – 1881)
Nancy Talbot JONES married John Lucas 1825.

Agustín Machado (1794 – 1865) & Ygnatio Machado (1797 – 1878)
Rancho La Ballona grant holder.
In 1819, brothers José Agustín Antonio Machado and José Ygnacio Antonio Machado joined with Felipe Talamantes and his son, Tomás, to acquire the Spanish grazing rights to the 14,000 acre Rancho La Ballona.

George D. Malim (18?? – 19??)
Ocean Park resident.
In 1903, a committee consisting of Col. A. B. Hotchkiss, a long-time resident of the South Side, Joseph Bontty and Captain Malim, were active in urging for separation from Santa Monica, stating that the new town would remain a town, governed by the Board of Supervisors, and would save the expenses of a city government while improving its own streets, water, and light supply.

Walter T. McGinley (1869 – 1932)
Circus executive, circus manager, legal adjuster, entreprenuer, gambler, race horse owner, oil man.
McGinley was born in Pennsylvania. He was an executive and manager with Ringling Brothers Circus, Wallace Brothers Circus and Sells-Floto Circus. In 1908 when he took an American circus on tour throughout Europe. He became one of the best known legal adjusters in the circus world. McGinley was among the very earliest figures in America to recognise the possibilities in motion pictures, and established a chain of movie theatres. McGinley was a successful race horse and dog racing owner in the early 1900’s. He became friends with Lucky Baldwin. He moved to California in 1915 and became the manager of the Baldwin Stocker properties. He bought some land from Lucky Baldwin and struck oil. He eventually was president and the sole owner of the McGinley Oil Company. His Ocean Park residence (now Joslyn Park) was designed by the architect Emmett G. Martin (1889-1937) in 1927.

Herman Michel (1867 – 194?)
Owner of Santa Monica Diary (dba Edgemar Farms) and Santa Monica Mayor (1926 – 1932).

J. Euclid Miles (1851 – 1924)
Real estate investor and Councilman.

Henry Milnor Mitchell (1846 – 1890)
Lawyer and Los Angeles County Sheriff

Daniel T Mooney (1844? – 1885)
Dan Mooney, a well-known character of early days, had been a miner in Arizona and had acquired considerable fortune. He married Mary Green and they took up their residence in the Lucas house which was thereafter known as the “Mooney Mansion.” August 17th, 1885. Mr. and Mrs. Mooney started to drive to Los Angeles. While on the way, Mr. Mooney’s pistol fell from his pocket and inflicted a mortal wound in his back.

Jack Boison Nethercutt (1913 – 2004)
Co-founder of Merle Norman Cosmetics.
Nethercutt was born in South Bend, Indiana and moved to Ocean Park, California to live with his maternal aunt Merle Nethercutt Norman after his mother’s death in 1922. Mrs. Norman, in the 1920’s, had begun a small business producing cosmetics for sale locally and opened her first Merle Norman Cosmetic studio in Ocean Park, California in the 1930’s. Nethercutt was then a student at Cal Tech but decided to quit school to go into business with Mrs. Norman. Nethercutt later bought out his aunt, her husband and the other company shareholders.

Merle (Nethercutt) Norman (19?? – 19??)
Co-founder of Merle Norman Cosmetics.
Merle Norman created her renowned cosmetics company in a garage laboratory in Santa Monica in 1931 where she set up a laboratory and came up with the “3 Steps” treatment. Her nephew, J.B. Nethercutt, soon joined her in developing and manufacturing the products she sold. In 1931, Merle with husband Andrew Norman and nephew J.B. as partners — founded her namesake cosmetics company. In 193 moved into the Streamline Moderne building (2525 Main Street) by Architect: H.G. Thursby in 1935.

Clinton Gordon Parkhurst (18?? – 19??)
The second to last mayor of Venice — before Venice became incorporated into the city of Los Angeles. “I can’t understand why anyone would prefer to live on a caved-in canal to living along a fine boulevard” Venice Mayor C. Gordon Parkhurst in December 1924. The Parkhurst Building at 185 Pier Ave was constructed in 1927 for C.G. Parkhurst and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Pio de Jesus Pico (1801 – 1894)
The last Mexican Governor of Alta California

Frederick Hastings Rindge (1857 – 1905)
Businessman, philanthropist and writer. Rindge inherited his father’s estate and moved from Massachusetts to California in 1887. As a staunch supporter of the temperance movement, Rindge agreed to reimburse the treasury of the city of Santa Monica any deficit caused by the loss of saloon license fees when Santa Monica abolished saloons. He established the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Santa Monica and wrote several books.

Anderson Rose (18?? – ??)
Property owner for whom Rose Avenue is named.
Anderson Rose was the first American settler on La Ballona and was, for many years, an extensive rancher, carrying on a large dairy farm and raising blooded stock.. Sanford sold his property, which included Mar Vista Hill, to Anderson Rose. Adjoining Rose’s property to the south was John Charnock’s property. Charnock Avenue bears his name. A map dated 1888 shows Rose and Charnock as owners of significant portions of Rancho La Ballona. On La Ballona, Anderson Rose and one or two others had begun to farm and the Machados raised some grain, but the greater portion of the tract was uncultivated. Other ranchers who located here (palms) in the later 1870’s or early 1880’s were Isaac Beyer, and George Rose, son of Anderson Rose.

Francis G. Ryan (1855 – 1898 )
Kinney’s silent partner in the Ocean Park Improvement Company.
Dies of a heart attack at 43. Buried at Woodlawn (Find A Grave # 31844394). His widow Matilda Brooks Ryan married Thomas Dudley.

George Stoneman(1822 – 1894)
A Union cavalry general in the American Civil War, and the Governor of California 1883 – 1887.

Felipe Talamantes (1771 – 1856) & Tomas Talamantes (1792 – 1873)
Rancho La Ballona grant holder.
In 1819, Felipe Talamantes and his son, Tomás, joined with brothers Agustín Machado and Ygnacio Machado to acquire Spanish grazing rights to the 14,000 acre Rancho La Ballona.wikipedia/Rancho_la_Ballona

Richard Robert Tanner (1858 – 1931)
Real estate investor and attorney.
Tanner was born in San Juan, CA and grew up in Ventura. He served as assistant postmaster of Ventura from 1877 to 1883. Tanner married in 1883 to Elizabeth J.Robinson, of Ventura, (later divorced with one daughter, Nora Ormsby). In 1884 was admitted to the bar and moved to Santa Monica. He was City Attorney of Santa Monica 1888 to 1901. Deputy District Attorney of Los Angeles County from 1892 to 1894. In 1893 Tanner married to Sebaldina M. Bontty (1875 – 1924), of Santa Monica. The Tanner family residence was located at 144 N. Fourth St. In 1894 Tanner entered partnership with Frederick H. Taft. Later the firm became Tanner, Taft & Odell, and when Judge Taft went on the bench. Tanner specialized in land law practice, with offices in the Dudley Building, corner of 3rd and Oregon, Santa Monica, and the Coulter Block, 213 S. Broadway, Los Angeles.

Charles A. Tegner (18?? – 19??)
Businessman. Donated the site for the Ocean Park Library.
The son of a Swedish merchant, Tegner left Sweden, making his way to the West Coast in 1890, where worked as a carpenter. In 1902, Tegner opened a small real estate and insurance office in downtown Santa Monica, which is still operating after 100 years. Tegner married Emma in 1905. 1905, Euclid Miles organized the real estate firm of Miles & Tegner. Tegner hired Hollwedel to build a series of buildings in Santa Monica, including the original Henshey’s Department store and in 1911 the Majestic, a silent movie house.
Emma and Charles Tegner house

Cameron Erskine Thom (1825-1915)
Captain Thom was a land owner (Rancho San Rafael), founder of Glendale, and Mayor of Los Angeles.

James Turrell (1943 – )
An artist primarily concerned with light and space. In 1966, Turrell purchased the Mendota Block (2667 Main Street).

Williamson Dunn Vawter (1815 – 1894)
Businessman and civic leader.
W.D. Vawter was born in Indiana. Tiring of farm life, the young man went to live with his uncle, Col. John Vawter, who was the proprietor of a grocery store at “Vawter’s Corner,” in Vernon, VA where the nephew became clerk and later partner with his cousin in the business. For many years Vawter was postmaster in the town, a leader in temperance work there, and custodian of the local branch of the American Bible Society. Vawter married in 1834, Mary Charlotte Tilghman Crowder, who died in 1851, leaving six children, namely, Mary Ellen, May, Jane-Cravens, Aramantha Charlotte, William Smith and Edwin James Vawter. In 1852, Vawter married Charlotte Augusta Knowlton, by whom he became the father of two children, Emma K. and Charles Knowlton. The death of the second Mrs. Vawter 1893, in Ocean Park. The family came west in 1875 and Vawter was associated with the early development Pasadena. From Pasadena Vawter moved to Santa Monica, and opened the first general store in that town, in a building on Fourth street, later establishing lumber yards and a planning mill. In 1884 Vawter purchased 100 acres of the Lucas ranch. In 1886 he secured a franchise and with his sons built the first street railway which was later extended to the Soldiers’ Home at Sawtelle, and Vawter lived to see his undertaking become a paying enterprise. With his sons he organized the First National Bank of Santa Monica, opening the same in the brick building on the southeast corner of 3rd Street and Santa Monica Blvd which they built in 1888. Vawter was active the development of the town of Santa Monica. He was also one of the founders of the Presbyterian church in Santa Monica.
W.D. Vawter, pioneer of Santa Monica and Pasadena
Mrs. Williamson Dunn Vawter
Mrs. W.D. Vawter, second wife of W.D. Vawter

William Smith Vawter (1845 – 19??)
Son of W.D. Vawter

Edwin James Vawter (1848 – 19??)
Son of W.D. Vawter
E.J. Vawter House, 504 Pier Avenue

Thomas Wadsworth (1853 – 1930)
Real estate investor. Developed the Wadsworth Hollister Tract.
Thomas Wadsworth and C.W. Hollister purchased the north half of the Central Beach tract sometime around 1902 and developed it for residential use.

Ivar A. Weid (1837 – 1903)
Real estate investor.
Ivar Weid a Danish immigrant, railroad owner and major land holder in Hollywood.

William Wegman (1943 – )
Artist who photographed and shot videos of dogs in humorous situations. He also used the studio at 2001 Main Street, behind the surf shop.

Karen Wenzel
“The Impact Of Historic Preservation On Land Use Planning In Ocean Park, Santa Monica, California”, California State University, Northridge, 1994