500′ x 155′
Santa Monica Alternative School.
The former Washington School, at the northwest corner of 4th and Ashland. The oldest existing school site in Santa Monica was established as Washington School in 1890 and has been in continuous school use since. The present building was constructed in 1934 after the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake and is patterned after the “Santa Monica Plan” developed by the architectural firm of Marsh, Smith and Powell, who also designed the Roosevelt School at Lincoln and Montana. The “Santa Monica Plan,” incorporating outdoor activity areas immediately acccessible to classrooms, was a result of experiences incurred by having to hold classes in tents for a year after the 1933 earthquake.