32′ x 94′
Phillips Chapel, CME Church.
Christian (formerly “Colored”) Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church
This may be the oldest continuously occupied public building in the city. Originally built in either 1890 or 1895 as the Washington School at Fourth and Ashland , it was later moved to this site and dedicated on October 4, 1908. It was remodeled in 1910 and again in 1949, but the original architecture of the building has been retained.
Phillips Chapel C.M.E. Church, Fourth and Bay Street 1910
SM Daily Press 2/18/2006
Time to talk a little preservation
USC School Of Architecture 10/11/2005
Historic PRESERVATION Student Wins LANDMARK Status For SANTA MONICA’S First AFRICAN-AMERICAN Church
The Landmarks Commission voted unanimously to approve the Phillips Chapel on 4th St for Landmark status. Commission members noted that they thought this was the first time they had designated a landmark based on cultural significance versus architectural significance.
Public Hearing to Consider a Landmark Designation Application 10/10/2005
City Landmark Assessment Report
PCR Assessment Report(2001 4th St)