50′ x 130′
Methodist Episcopal Church
The former First Methodist Episcopal Church is a Victorian Gothic-inspired redwood structure with high-pitched gables. It was sold in 1923 and used for meetings of the women’s auxiliary of Union veterans of the Civil War. It was moved to its present location (from Arizona and Fourth) in 1900.
Now a private residence, the north portion of this building was originally built in 1875 at the southwest corner of Sixth and Arizona and may be the oldest standing wood-frame building in the city. In 1882 it was moved to the southwest corner of Fourth and Arizona, then in 1900 to Ocean Park, where it became the Ocean Park Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1923 the church built a new brick structure and the old church became a meeting hall known as Patriotic Hall. It was purchased by the Stephen Jackson Women’s Relief Corps No. 124 of the Grand Army of the Republic Auxiliary and used as a meeting hall until 1971, when it was sold and became a residence. It was designated a Santa Monica City Landmark in 1977.
1875 LA Library http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics18/00028635.jpg
Exterior view of the First Methodist Church soon after completion, located in Santa Monica. The church on the right (background) is the First Presbyterian Church.
Santa Monica Conservancy catalog #39
sm conservancy catalog #39
From Holy to Homey Business Week 8/12/2005
Soulful Digs LA Times 10/1/2001
City Council 12/14/2004
Mills Act Historical Property Agreements between the City of Santa Monica and the Property Owners
Landmarks Commission Certificate of Appropriateness LC-04CA-003 Item 9a.
Approval of modifications to the rear elevation of the single-family structure, designated as a contributor to the Third Street Neighborhood Historic District.