200′ x 250′
Legal address is 2420 2nd St.
In 1908, the Imperial Ice Company built an 8,000-square-foot warehouse with bow-truss ceiling and clerestory windows toward the back of its Main Street property. In 1928 another open-truss structure was added to the original warehouse. With the advent of refrigeration in the 1940’s and a decline in the ice business, the Michel brothers, minority partners, bought the property for the egg processing division of the dairy they owned and built a small art deco style building with Main Street frontage to house their offices. The 1908 warehouse became their “egg-candling room” in which eggs were held up to a light to check for fertilization. They announced a newspaper competition to select a new name for their business (Santa Monica Dairy) and the winner was Edgemar, a cross between the English and the Spanish, for “edge of the sea”.
In 1983 the Michel Brothers sold out to Foremost and placed the Main Street property on the market. The following year Abby Sher, a neighbor, purchased the Edgemar property in order to build what is today known as Edgemar. She commissioned architect Frank Gehry for the project and asked him to preserve the original structures.
Council Mtg: Item 8-A 2/10/1998
Council Mtg: Item 7-A/8-A8/12/1997
Council Mtg: Item 6-G 11/25/1997 http://www01.smgov.net/cityclerk/council/agendas/1997/s1997112506-G.html
Council Mtg: 12-A: 06/21/1988
EDGEMAR PROJECT/CUP 502/2435 MAIN STREET: